Other Tax Return Help

Request an Extension

If you need an extension to delay filing your taxes, you can do this for your Federal Tax Return on the IRS website at:

For your California Tax Return, go to the Franchise Tax Board website at:

Free Tax Return Filing Options

You can file your Federal Tax Return yourself for free on the IRS website.  Click on this link:

You can file your California Tax Return yourself for free on the Franchise Tax Board website.  Click on this link:

Status of a Refund

You can find out the status of a refund due on your Federal Tax Return on the IRS Website at: https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

You can find out the status of a refund due on your State Tax Return on the Franchise Tax Board Website at: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/online/refund/index.asp

Copy of Previous Year’s Tax Return

Copy of previous year’s Federal Tax Return:

Copy of previous year’s California Tax Return:

IRS Problems?

AARP Tax-Aide volunteers will help you answer letters from the IRS or the state about returns they prepared.  Problems are mostly straightforward and can usually be quickly resolved.  Contact the site where you had your tax return prepared by calling the telephone number shown at the bottom of page one of your Federal tax return.  If AARP Tax-Aide volunteers did not prepare your return, contact the preparer who did.

The Low Income Taxpayer Clinic at Cal Poly is staffed by lawyers, accountants and students.  The Clinic helps individuals involved with tax controversies before the IRS.  Examples of matters covered include: collection disputes, examinations, appeals of liens or levies and matters involving identity theft and innocent spouse claims.  The Clinic provides all services at no charge for individuals whose income is within 250% of the federal poverty guidelines.  Assistance is also available to Spanish speaking clients.  For more information please call 877-318-6772 or email: litc@calpoly.edu.

The local IRS office in Santa Maria is the place to start with tax collections and setting up payment plans.  Visit them workdays at 2384 Professional Parkway (off Broadway, behind Walgreens; look for the flagpole).  All service is on a walk-in basis; go early during tax season.  A translation service is available.