What To Bring
What to bring with you to your tax appointment:
A copy of your previous year’s returns (Federal and California)
Click here to get a copy of your previous year’s Federal return.
Click here to get a copy of your previous year’s California return.
Driver’s License or other government issued photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
Social Security cards or ITIN letters for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents (Not required for Social Security recipients)
Click here to get a replacement Social Security card.
Your check book if you want a direct deposit of your refund
IRS Intake Form (Optional):
All clients must fill out IRS Form 13614-C available here. If you wish, you can fill it out ahead of time and bring it to your tax appointment.
You will also need the following items, where applicable:
- W-2 from each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 forms showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
- 1099 forms reporting interest (1099-INT) dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B) and cost basis if not shown on the 1099-B forms
- 1099-R forms if you received a pension or annuity
- 1099-Misc form showing any miscellaneous income
- 1099-G State tax refunds
- WG-2 forms for any gambling winnings
- Any other tax forms in envelopes marked “Important Tax Document”
- Any letters from the IRS or the Franchise Tax Board received during the year
Health Insurance Documentation:
If not on Medicare, bring any 1095 forms you have from your health insurance provider or Covered California.
- Forms and canceled checks for federal and state income taxes paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments)
- 1098-T for college expenses for you and your dependents, please total by category
- IRA Contribution information
Most taxpayers take the standard deduction for federal, but California has lower limits so you may be able to itemize for California. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, typically from mortgage and property taxes, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:
- 1098 forms showing any home mortgage interest
- Receipts/statements or canceled checks for medical/dental expenses (including medical insurance premiums), summarize by category
- Receipts for contributions to charity
- Statements and cancelled checks for property taxes and car registration
- Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID, or Social Security number)
- Receipts, cancelled checks or forms 1098-T related to education and training beyond high school